Blog Gerald  

Evaporated Salt

What it is: Fine sea salt is a crystal salt that is harvested from the ocean’s surface. It passes through the least processing by the sea. Large deposits of the crystals are collected and later transported to sea salt refineries where they undergo even more processing. Most of the fine sea salt available on the market today has undergone this process. The unevenly shaped flakes do not stack up equally, so the salt tends to be slightly grayish in color.

sea salt

How it is made: Although sea salt is harvested directly from the sea, it goes through an extra process to make it more acceptable for human consumption. Most fine sea salts contain about 95% table salt. The remaining 5% is made up of various minerals. Most sea salts are highly porous, so they quickly absorb liquids that are soaked up into the sea water. That means sea salt tends to have a salty taste after being combined with water. To compensate for this, manufacturers will add a variety of chemicals to the crystals to neutralize the taste however, these additives can eventually cause health problems if continuous intake occurs.

Salt’s flavor: Salt is a mineral that has naturally occurring crystals that vary in color and size. Because of this, there is a wide range of salt flavors. Some varieties of coarse sea salt actually taste like candy, while others have a more salty taste or an oily feel to them. In addition, the larger crystals tend to retain a higher concentration of minerals and therefore provide a richer flavor sometimes similar to a coarse sea salt with a higher magnesium content.

Types of grains used in sea salt: Not all sea salts contain the same types of minerals and flavor. Most coarse sea salts including rock salt and fine grain sea salts have a lot of concentrated rock dust in their composition. This fine grain mineral content gives the salt its color. Rock salt and fine grain sea salts may also contain a small amount of manganese, copper, or zinc. It is important to note that each of these minerals have different effects on the body. Rock salt tends to leave the body on a more alkaline level, while fine grain sea salts tend to increase acid levels.

How to use sea salt in cooking: Cooking sea salt is pretty simple. Since it contains lots of tiny grains, it goes well with any kind of seafood, as long as it remains immersed in the liquid for a decent amount of time. Typically, sea salt goes well with fish, as it brings out their natural flavor and tenderness. You can also season sea salt with herbs, such as Rosemary, and use it to spice up things, such as a simple sandwich spread. A simple cup of fine sea salt added to a warm dish can be used instead of a traditional vinaigrette.

Where to buy sea salt: Buying fine sea salt isn’t difficult. Most health food stores carry a selection of fine sea salts, as well as a variety of other spices, cooking aids, and related products. You might also check online to see if you can find discounts on bulk products, which will allow you to buy a larger quantity. There are quite a few manufacturers of sea salt, including Choctawitus and Zodiac. If you shop around and know what type of salt you want before you go shopping, it can save you a lot of time and hassle.

Evaporated water contains magnesium, calcium, and sodium. When water evaporates, it takes these minerals with it, and they eventually end up in our bodies. Evaporated foods are high in sodium, and because sea salt has a higher density than other salts, it contains less sodium when it evaporates. Most sea salt contains about 95% of calcium, and just a little bit of magnesium, too. Because of its absorption rate, however, Himalayan salt is among the most absorbent forms of salt available today.

Once harvested, Himalayan sea salt is transported by trucks to refineries that process it further, and then truck it back to land. Most sea salt is processed quickly and is ready to be sold within a few days to stores and restaurants. This high turnover rate means that there aren’t usually many empty bags or boxes sitting on the shelves, and that customers have plenty of opportunity to buy bulk amounts. When shopping for evaporated seawater products, make sure that you buy from a reputable company that guarantees a safe shipping method and that the product meets its specifications.